Front:
Sunit's
PEPER
addempe
*******
CHARBER
COMMERCE
328***
99
WHITE'S
PACKAGE LIQUORS
LV
Back:
No. 511
U.S. HIGHWAY THRU TOWN
Socorro, New Mexico
In May of 1598 Spanish explorers under Don Juan
de Oñate, accompanied by two Franciscan priests,
came to what is now known as Socorro. Here they
found a friendly tribe of Indians who gave them
corn as provisions were running very low. While the
explorers went farther North along the Rio Grande,
the two priests remained to do missionary work.
Father Alfonso Benavidez named the village "Nuestra
Senora de Perpetuo Socorro"
meaning "Our
Lady of Perpetual Help", in recognition of the
succor they received from the Indians. In later years
the name was shortened to Socorro. This view shows
the modern, progressive town with dual- lane
highway through the center of town. It is the home
of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.
Color Photo by F. J. SCHAAF
SCHAAF
POST CARDS
NEW MEXICO
LAND OF ENCHANTMENT
Publised by F. J. Schaaf, Alamogordo, New Mexico
C-29597
05
Rey R. EK män
| Ofer
85